Grimm Fabrications- Photo Credit- Of' Storms Creative Studios

Thursday 3 April 2014

Throwback Thursday

I've decided that I need to get back into the habit of blogging every day. Thus far, I've been really bad at that. In order to get myself blogging, I've decided to do daily prompts to ensure that I blog about something. At the moment, these will be the internet-wide things like 'How Tuesday' and 'Throwback Thursday' and so on. That being said... Throwback Thursday! The day on which I will discuss past artwork from previous lives, or just the past in general! (Speaking of, today is 1950s Rockabilly day. Not officially... but as I write this I am wearing hair curlers.) 

Today, I am going to tell you about something that I did when I was in my last year of high school. All the way back in 2010 (wow!). For a long time I was really interested in singing, playing guitar, and writing music. I wrote a lot of songs, and would play my guitar every day. I used to have some wicked calluses on my fingers because of this. In 2010, I learned about an indie record label in Regina called 'Urban Planning Records'. To be honest, I don't know if they exist anymore, because I couldn't find anything last time I was looking. I sent them a demo, and a bunch of t-shirt designs (I was also into designing band t-shirts at the time). They were basically just recording out of their basement, and they were a great bunch of guys. One of the most rock and roll experiences of my life to date (kidding... but for an 18 year old from a small town, my mind was blown). We recorded four of my songs, full band and everything, and it was amazing. All of this was recorded under a name that I came up with in Physics class: Gravity Kills Children.


Why am I writing about this? Well, after I left high school, I played guitar less, and less, and less... Until I stopped. Recently, my fingertips and the fringes of my soul have been itching to feel those metal strings, the wood body, and frets. Today I picked up the guitar again. And it's amazing. I listened to these old songs of mine, because naturally I don't remember any of the lyrics. Well... barely. Maybe it's just time to write new songs. Either way... my soul is satisfied. 

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to hear your songs again. They are hauntingly sad and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete